This summer, Sunday has been by far the best day of the week: Ryan and I both have the day off, the weather always seems to be especially beautiful, and most importantly…Game of Thrones! On Sundays we like to do fun brunches, dinners, or what-have-ious, so this time I thought it would be fun to do Game of Thrones snacks! We have chili powder for Daenerys Targaryen; Mother of Dragons, dark chocolate for Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch, and Bloody Mary’s for the overall gore everyone loves.
We both agreed that Dark Chocolate Chili Popcorn and Bloody Mary’s were pretty fitting to Game of Thrones. Ryan is a seriously talented bartender, and recommends using ZingZang Bloody Mary mix and a good potato vodka. Have some fun with your garnishes- olives, citrus, celery, even bacon or beef jerky!
Popcorn is one of my top favorite foods, so I’m always experimenting with new flavors. Not only is it the perfect snack, but a whole grain as well and crazy high in fiber. I love really dark chocolate, 80% is about as light as I’ll go. It’s full of anti-oxidants, and has a really great rich flavor. Like coffee, good dark chocolate shouldn’t be overpoweringly bitter. Trader Joe’s makes some great bars, and I always enjoy Lindt and Ghirardelli. Dark chocolate over 80% is also very low in sugar – another bonus.
Chili powder is great in this recipe because like dark chocolate has a really rich flavor, but doesn’t leave your mouth burning like cayenne would. I used 2 tsp. of chili powder in this recipe, but if you’re worried about the heat start out with about ½ tsp., and work your way up.
Enjoy these recipes, have a wonderful Sunday, and fingers crossed for an awesome episode tonight!
- 4 cups popcorn (use either air popped or a low-calorie bagged popcorn)
- 1 square (11.25 grams) of 86% or darker dark chocolate
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Measure out your popcorn in a very large bowl – you should be able to easily toss the popcorn with a rubber spatula.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 second intervals until fully melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn, and toss with a rubber spatula until evenly dispersed. Halfway through mixing, add seasonings and continue to toss.
- Let popcorn sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes until chocolate has fully dried.
- Grab your Bloody Mary, and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts makes 1 serving
203 kcal, 13g fat, 21g carbohydrates, 4g protein